If you are interested in protecting your smile with dental sealants, but you would like to know more about them first, here at Lakeview Dental Care we’re happy to help you! To help you learn more about dental sealants, we have provided the answers to the following questions:
Who should get sealants?
Children are generally encouraged to get sealants, but adults are more than welcome to as well. As long as the adult does not have tooth decay or dental fillings in the teeth needing the sealant, we are more than happy to protect their teeth with this product.
How are sealants applied?
Applying a dental sealant is simple and quick. It only requires one appointment at our office and it generally includes the following steps:
1. Your dentist will thoroughly clean each tooth that is receiving the sealant.
2. Once the teeth are cleaned, he will dry the teeth and will place cotton swabs around them to keep them dry.
3. Your dentist will then place an acidic solution on the teeth to roughen their surfaces. This will help the sealants bond to the teeth.
4. Then, he will once again rinse and dry the teeth.
5. Finally, he will paint the sealants onto the teeth and will harden them with a special light.
How long do sealants last?
Sealants generally last up to 10 years if they are frequently checked. If something happens to the sealant, your dentist will be happy to replace it as soon as possible.
Dental sealants are strong, reliable shells that can protect your teeth each and every day. If you have decided that you would like to take advantage of them, please call Lakeview Dental Care today at 269-964-7660 and schedule an appointment with Dr. L. C. Chilimigras. We will be more than happy to help you!