At Lakeview Dental Care located in Battle Creek, Michigan, Dr. Chilimigras and our team offer periodontal treatment for our patients who have gum disease. This is important, because if gingivitis–a mild form of gum disease–is left untreated, it can progress into periodontitis. While improved oral hygiene can often restore gum health while in the mild stage, once it advances it is much more difficult to resolve.
Once plaque is allowed to spread below the gum line, bacteria causes toxins to release which irritate your gums. These toxins cause the body to respond to constant inflammation as the tissue in the mouth and the bones supporting your teeth break down. As the gums pull back from the teeth, spaces (pockets) form between your teeth and the gums and become infected. With time, these pockets become deeper as gum tissue and bone is destroyed, which can result in tooth loss. So, how is periodontitis treated?
– Scaling and root planing: a deep cleaning of the root surfaces, sometimes followed up with antibiotics.
– Gum graft surgery: where exposed tooth roots are covered with gum tissue to prevent continued recession and bone loss.
– Bone grafts: reverse some of the damage from lost bone and tissue.
– Dental crown lengthening: adjusts the gum and bone levels to expose more of the natural tooth.
– Dental implants: replaces a lost tooth or teeth by placing an artificial tooth root into your jaw via a tooth or bridge.
– Pocket reduction: a procedure done to the pockets, by folding back the gum tissue, removing the bacteria, and securing the tissue.
To ensure good oral health, it is important to develop healthy habits and see Dr. Chilimigras and our Lakeview Dental Care team regularly. In addition to helping you keep your teeth and gums in tip-top shape, we offer scaling and root treatment, as well as laser periodontal treatment to treat periodontitis. To schedule a visit please call 269-964-7660 in Battle Creek, Michigan, today!