Are you aware of any common sleep apnea tips for the summer season? Sleep apnea is a sleep disorder that results from the air not effectively making it to your lungs while you sleep. If your airway is blocked while you sleep, this form of sleep apnea is called obstructive sleep apnea. Another form of sleep apnea that is just as hazardous to your health, called central sleep apnea, is caused by a blockage or disruption of signals from your brain sent your chest to instruct you to breathe.
Listed below are some common risk factors for sleep apnea:
– Genetics play a heavy role in many disorders, including sleep apnea.
– Common allergies and sinus problems can also enhance your likelihood of sleep apnea.
– Irregular ailments that can increase your risk for sleep apnea include an enlarged tongue or tonsils, a deviated septum, nasal blockages, a small jaw, and throat obstructions.
– If left untreated, sleep apnea can put you at risk for high blood pressure, diabetes, depression, heart attack, stroke, and even death.
– Males over the age of 40 have a higher risk of sleep apnea.
Depending on your overall oral health, our dentist at Lakeview Dental Care can help you find which sleep apnea treatments will work best for you and your smile. Dr. L.C. Chilimigras and our team would love to see you at our dentist office in Battle Creek, Michigan. To schedule an appointment, please call us at 269-964-7660. We will be glad to help you achieve the results you are looking for.