Cavities are painful, inconvenient dental problems that develop when people don’t properly take care of their smiles. Once the cavities have developed, the dentist will need to use a dental drill to remove the decayed portion of the tooth. Then, the dentist will fill the tooth with a product that will restore its health.
If you are one who wants to prevent and fight tooth decay, here are some tips that can help you:
· Keep up on oral hygiene: Oral hygiene is very important. If you want a strong and healthy smile, you need to brush your teeth twice a day, floss your smile once a day, and rinse your mouth with beneficial mouthwash daily. When you do these things, it’s best that you use a soft-bristled toothbrush, fluoride toothpaste, and fluoride mouthwash. We also encourage you to be gentle around your gums as you brush and floss.
· Visit your dentist regularly: If you want a successful oral health, you need to attend your dental cleanings and checkups every six months. These appointments are very beneficial because they help you prevent tooth decay and gum disease.
· Consider dental sealants: Dental sealants are shields for the teeth. They are thin, plastic coatings that cover the entire surface of your tooth and block out any harmful substance that has the potential to destroy it. This is a great option that is generally used on the back molars.
· Take advantage of fluoride: Fluoride is a mineral that will help you have strong and durable teeth. It nourishes and strengthens your smile every chance it gets, and it helps your teeth fight off tooth decay and plaque. You can get fluoride from fluoride toothpaste, fluoride mouthwash, professional fluoride treatments, and tap water.
· Eat tooth-healthy foods: There are many foods and beverages that can harm and destroy your smile; it’s best to avoid these products. Some of these foods and drinks include hard, stick candies, sweets, and soda.
With these five tips, you will have the best oral health and smile possible. If you are interested in knowing more or if you have any questions, please feel free to call 269-964-7660 now and talk to our team at Lakeview Dental Care. We also encourage you to schedule an appointment with Dr. L. C. Chilimigras if you have a dental cavity so he can solve the problem just in time for the holidays. We look forward to talking with you!